Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"A New York Minute"

11 x 14"

oil on masonite

sold

I can tell you, as I stood in the same spot as this woman, looking at Georgia O'Keeffe's "Manhattan", I was in awe.I can't say I'm particularly crazy about modern art or O'Keeffe's flower paintings - but this is the exception. All of her cityscapes blow me away. One of the features I love about the Smithsonian American Art Museum is their placement of quotes on the walls. On the upper right of my painting, I wanted to hint at that, but not nit-pick at the accuracy of the lettering. Tough call to include it or not. But I did like the quote enough to accompany the painting. It is a quote from Georgia O'Keeffe reading "One can't paint New York as it is, but rather as it is felt".

Click here if you'd like a larger view.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karin, I hardly have enough superlatives -- your painting is so wonderful on so many different levels: the colors, the composition, that very special quote. And to that, let me just add that I have the warmest feeling inside remembering this painting -- and remembering a very special day at a very special museum!

Don Gray said...

I appreciate your painting and your lively commentary on your art/life.
The museum series is inspired, as is all your work.