Saturday, February 10, 2007

"Hospitality"

6 x 6"

oil on masonite

sold

And so to bed. The end of my short, first night in San Francisco. If you have to be away from home, the fine hospitality of a turned-down bed and a warm robe can feel quite nice.

It must be mentioned that these small, daily paintings are so beneficial to my work - the challenge of painting something I don't usually paint, to see and use color in unexpected ways. You tend to learn something new every day - and it really does matter in the long run. If you're an artist and you've taken on the daily practice of painting one piece, my advice is to remember to break away from the norm from time to time. Choose a completely different subject. Dab into a color you wouldn't normally use. Remember that things come alive with color. Enjoy and paint on, my friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the lighting and your loose style.

Edward B. Gordon said...

for me you are a modern J.S.Sargent, brilliant!