Friday, February 3, 2012

"Mensch"

6 x 6"
oil on masonite
sold

Mensch is Yiddish for a good guy. I loved this gentleman, I thought he looked like a good guy. Distinguished and wise in his years. I spotted him sitting outside of Central Park, looking onto 5th Avenue. Not far from where I held the workshop.

Normally, I would ignore the detail of the wall behind him - keep it simpler. But in this case, I thought it added something right. This new painting will be added to my ongoing series ATL to NYC & Back.



6 comments:

carol morgan carmichael said...

Love this guy. Really like the way you handled the stone work around him.

Elaine Hurst said...

I love the wall behind him! Adds a little bit of something that really goes with him. Super painting, Karin!

Amy Hillenbrand said...

Oh Karin, this guy is fabulous. Ever time I look at your paintings I am amazed at how well you capture the body language.

Linda Nickles said...

I agree with the others -- I love this guy, but the wall behind him, and the bits of grass coming through really add something special to the painting. You are the master of detail, Karin -- always knowing just what to add, or edit to make it work!

Dan Kent said...

Excellent image. The wall is reminiscent of the Western Wall, I think, which is why it seemed so appropriate. Love the determined tense thoughts as displayed by his posture, hands, and expression - and the contours of the face are marvelous.

Ulrike Miesen-Schürmann said...

Hi Karin, it's quite interesting that the German expression for human is "Mensch", too. Anyway, he's a great guy O:-)