Friday, October 15, 2010

"Palm Monday"



12 x 11"
oil on masonite
sold

I've been playing with a palette knife in the recent months, mostly with the small portraits - and I wanted to give it a try with a larger painting. See if I could maintain some control, which is the tricky part to me - but I'm new at it. I went back to the photos I took of these two young men, thinking it would be a great subject to use the knife - the long leaves, the thick, stucco-like wall. Also realized I took the photographs on a Monday, hence the title. I labored over this painting - moving slow and deliberate - and I love the finished piece - mostly for it's strong color and additional texture. This painting will also be included in the upcoming Charleston Art Auction in November - a quintessential scene around the bustling market in the center of the city.

detail

Please click here for a larger view.



10 comments:

Anita Tresslar said...

It looks to me like you are mastering the palette knife which is not easy. I use one occaisionally and I always find it frustrating. Great job and I love the colors.

Linda Popple said...

Beautiful!

Mark Bridges said...

Nice bright colors. Did you mention here, that there is an expose of you in Southwest mag this month?

Karin Jurick said...

I did mention that Mark - as soon as I relearn how to use my scanner, I'll post the article - which, by the way, is more 'me' rather than the online version. I don't talk with those many exclamations, kinda freaked me out to read it.

cissy said...

Just looks like Charleston, I love watching the basket makers. The colors and the effect you achieved with the palette knife in this painting are wonderful.

L.Holm said...

looks like you've mastered the palette knife.
beautiful.

berni said...

Strong, beautiful, and bold. Love your work.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

that you're getting this result with a palette knife is testimony to your complete and utter dedication.
Fantastic painting!

Amy Hillenbrand said...

Like how you created movement in the stalks the men are working with. It really does feel like the south.

Steve PP said...

Great texture on the wall, and wonderful colours!