Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Different Strokes from Different Folks

I kick-started a new blog today - a weekly call for entries to all the painters, drawers, etchers out there in our huge community of artists on the web. It was inspired by Mona Conner, who painted her own version of my dog Jack and mentioned there might be more pouring in from fellow painters. It really touched me and I'd like to make this our first challenge - to take my photograph, which will be posted every Wednesday, and run with it.

I want you to enjoy it, not sweat it. Take an hour, take five hours. Whatever you want. Turn the photo upside down and paint it. Crop it. Add, subtract, embellish or fade the colors. Jump in the waters. Don't be shy. We all need a little inspiration and it's interesting to see the same scene through different eyes.

And dozens of paintings of Jack would make me happy. I can't deny that.

10 comments:

Johnnie Sielbeck said...

What a fun idea! Thanks!!

Mona Diane Conner said...

Karin,

I must admit I have been busy today, but I see this, and it looks fantastic! What an idea for everyone's joy
answer. Thank you for thinking of this and for following through on it.

I hope everyone tries to paint Jack, and enjoys it as much as I did. It shows how inspired everyone can be from just one person's joy answer in paint, which Karin Jurick's blog has surely become over the past several years. If it sounds like fun to you, then pay it forward in painting too.

MJ said...

What a great idea!! Love it!

Paula Villanova said...

This is such a cool, creative, and inspiring idea! Thanks for coming up with this; looking forward to seeing all the results!

Molly Mansfield said...

This sounds so fun, I can't wait!

Lisa Zook said...

I love this idea Karin....your painting of Jack is beautiful!!!....and in his honor, i hope to paint him too this weekend...i just finished a 16 x 20 of my Golden Retriever Steve (with his red ball in palette knife) which i will post on my web site within the next 4 days.
Most Sincerley, Lisa Zook
www.lisazook.com

Peggy Montano & Paintings said...

I really like this idea and will be checking in.
Peggy Montano

hawkins travel / painting blog said...

Hi Karin, what a great idea...very nice to be thinking about artists...throwing us all a bone. Hope I can try one (or a few) Thanks,
Bill H.

Terry said...

A fabulous idea Karin, and wonderful way to honor Jack. Hope to join in the fun on upcoming Wednesdays -

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Sounds like fun. Everyone did such a great job with little Jack.