Sunday, April 15, 2007

"A Room With a View"

12 x 12"

oil on masonite

sold

As you can see, I decided to carry on and finish this piece as I initially planned - and I'll tell you why. You know I was about halfway done and was tempted to try something different and essentially subtract the surroundings from the figures. Convinced that that idea is interesting - and that it has such great potential - I decided to save it for another painting.

The comments I continue to get in both emails and blog posts are really helpful - in that I realize what I didn't want was for the figures to appear as cutouts. I also realized that if I planned that from the beginning I would have changed some things about the composition. In other words, it takes a lot more thought and planning from the get-go when the strength of the painting relies solely on the placement of the figures.

I also think I'm partial to the scene finished, in this case, because I can remember that room so well - how spacious it is, how the marbled floor reflects the people, how light comes from all different sources and mostly how that painting "Paris Street, Rainy Day" is the major spectacle of the room.

I also intended for this painting to be in an upcoming exhibition in May - but I've changed my mind. For that, I still want to do something unexpected of me - and perhaps take on the aforementioned challenge.

This painting will be slated for my upcoming July show at 16 Patton Gallery, in Asheville, North Carolina.

Click here for a larger view.

9 comments:

Debbie Miller said...

OK that uneasy feeling I got from the unfinished version is gone. I really like it now. wonderfull.

Jo Castillo said...

This came out very nicely. Beautiful and interesting. Nice gestures.

Your idea of more planning for the unexpected is probably a good idea. Gave us lots to think about.

Thanks,
Jo

A Reason to Paint said...

Hi Karin,
I just found your blog today and really enjoyed wandering through it; I particularly like the way you share your thoughts on process and I love your work. I'll definitely be back.

Bob said...

Much more pleasing to the eye.

Anonymous said...

it now feels finished.
thanks for showing us the space.

Karen Appleton said...

Wow, just a couple of hours ago I was standing in this very spot. Caillebotte's painting is, in a round about way, one reason I moved from Atlanta to Chicago. I love your vision of this scene, and would also like to see your other idea worked out sometime. Finding your blog has been an inspiration for me. Thanks,Karen

Tony Vassallo said...

I prefer the completed one. I'm not one to "read" or "feel" things that are not there.
Question: Is there a particular reason you paint on black? First time I've heard of it.
Anyway, I love stopping by your site every day.
Tony

Cooper Dragonette said...

I love the sense of depth and perspective in this piece Karin--not something I've seen so much of us in your work online and it's very dynamic here!

Anonymous said...

I really love this one! Partly because I love the Chicago Museum. I hope you paint more! Where will this one sell?