Monday, March 31, 2014

"200 Faces, No. 137"

4 x 4"
oil on panel
sold


It's unusual that I paint with only black and white - I guess I needed a simplified warm-up this morning after finishing two very colorful, detailed paintings.

It was harder than I thought.

Somehow the changes in values of color, in the slightest increments, comes easier, probably from lots of practice.  The multitudes of greys were tougher.  I need to do this more.


 detail


I decided to leave the red ground color - it looks cool with the black and greys.





3 comments:

Linda Nickles said...

This is so striking, Karin!

Linda Roth said...

Very impressive. Some artists think seven grays between black and white; others think five between black and white. The red ground is genius.

Unknown said...

I've just discovered your blog. I have to say that your paintings are soooo beautiful. Your paintings seem a photograph.
I love the way you see the world.
You are a great artist.
A big hug from Argentina.