Thursday, February 24, 2011

"What a Saint"

8 x 10"
oil on masonite
sold


Before I present this new painting, I want to thank those who extended their sympathy for our loss of Petey. It feels like a big group hug. It means a lot. Thank you all. In the past, when our dogs passed away, we had another at home very eager to get us back on track. It helped, a lot. They eased the grief with their presence. Petey was our lone dog - I think he preferred it that way, and I say that with a smile. Petey ruled. When we lost Jack, he devoted himself to us, even more so. And we devoted ourselves to him. It's harder this time.

About this new painting.... it includes one of my all-time favorites that hangs in the Art Institute of Chicago - I beeline to it when I'm at the museum. Bernat Martorell's 'Saint George Killing the Dragon' is the ultimate illustration, filled with symbolism and action - a powerful painting. I enjoyed every minute of working on this piece.

Please click here for a larger view.

For now, go hug your dog, take them for a long walk and give them a slice of cheese when you get back home. Do it for me.



16 comments:

Nithya Swaminathan said...

Since we have been seeing your 100 faces and Dickens inspired mugshots now for quite some time, it is SO wonderful to see a museum painting again. Awesome, as always!

Scribbler said...

Beautiful piece!

Kathy Cousart said...

Beautiful sentiments on Petey...my heart is right there with yours.

Wonderful to see this museum style from you- gorgeous painting within a beautiful painting- just love these.
Love it!

Karen Bruson said...

Love visiting your blog. You are such an inspiration.

Linda Popple said...

Unexpected beautiful weather here so Maggie and I went for that long walk. With the earth warming, there are spring smells every where. Maggie's nose stayed close to the ground sniffing. I think she is tracking (HA HA) the possum she spotted in the back yard last night. In honor of Petey we both shared the walk and cheese.

Beautiful painting! Your work continues to inspire me.

Mitzi Easley said...

oh, what a pose Karin - well done! And, about the cheese, Romeo sends you his thanks - ;-)

Unknown said...

I just saw about Petey! I'm so sorry, i can't even imagine what it is going to be like when our buddy goes on the field of squirrel chasing in the sky. He living with our parents while we are overseas, so I told my mother to give him an extra hug and some cheese. I know he thanks you!

Don Gray said...

So sorry about Petey, Karin. Tough to lose a family member, whether canine or human.

A beautiful painting today.

adebanji said...

Great! Love the greys on the wall, just cools everything down and takes me in!

Linda Nickles said...

Beautiful painting, Karin. I agree with others that it is good to see your return to museum works. You did an outstanding job capturing her posture! Just love it!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Karin, this painting just ROCKS. You can really see how much you love that painting! And yes, now ... well as soon as the downpour is over .... Paco will get a nice long walk, with plenty of time to sniff, and a piece of cheese (which we can't even SAY in our house anymore!). Thank you for sending out that piece of grace...

CHRIS MURRAY said...

great painting. You gave Petey a wonderful life and you were blessed to have his unconditional love. I'm making a donation to my local humane society in his honor. And Martha will get a walk and extra large bone.

Sheila Vaughan said...

Sweet message Karin - your portrait of Petey is so emotive and wonderful. Yep, will give a piece of cheese to my two grand-dogs tonight!

Amy Hillenbrand said...

Spectacular!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Love this. No one does these museum pieces like you!

M. Hassan said...

Stunning paintings your ones:)