Saturday, July 5, 2008

"Waterproof"

9 x 12"
oil on masonite
sold

The Monets are the most popular gallery in the Art Institute of Chicago. The museum made a smart change and moved them all into a larger room, with a few other Impressionists' works. It's important with Impressionism - to be able to view the scene from a 5 to 10 feet distance from the canvas. More importantly, to be able to hone in on the thousands of brushstrokes that it took to get there. This woman, seemingly taking a long lunchbreak, was enjoying Monet's 'Iris'.

Please click here for a larger view.



4 comments:

Deb Schmit said...

Congratulations! on your painting, "We Still Have Paris." I saw the detail of it several weeks ago and had wondered what happened to it.
Thanks for all your inspiration!

Jennifer Phillips said...

Karin your work is truly amazing! It thrills me each time I see a piece you create that includes an original master's work! Painting a painting of a painting... while capturing someone entranced by it's beauty!
I am lucky to live so close to the Howard/Mandville Gallery in Seattle - I get to see your gorgeous brush strokes in person!

Kathy Hodge said...

Hi Karin,
I just wanted to let you know that I've been enjoying spending time in the museum people-watching with you. Beautiful paint! I also just discovered your youtube movies. I never knew setting up a palette could be so entertaining, and it was cool to visit Chicago with you too. I shared the link on my blog

Robin Roberts said...

Just want to say how much I've enjoyed following along on your journey. It's just uncanny the way you capture famous paintings in an itty bitty format. Just when I think I have a favorite.....here are your night houses! I let my students know about your videos. So generous of you to share