Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A New YouTube Painting Video

watch the video


My newest video is a sped-up version of the creation of my painting 'Vacation' - a process that took about an hour and a half condensed into ten minutes. When you watch it, keep in mind that it's a method of adding and subtracting the paint, starting with a medium value of burnt sienna and umber painted over a white surface. You'll see the darker areas are done with applied paint (with a tad of black and white), yet the light areas are done by dipping the brush in thinner and 'pulling' the color out to reveal the original white surface of the board. It's totally unpredictable and a good exercise in control. Great fun.

So please click here to the YouTube page, go grab a cup of coffee while it's loading and it'll be ready to go. Don't forget to turn up the volume and groove to the bossa nova by Stan Getz & Astrud Gilberto. If you listen carefully, there was a thunderstorm going on while I was painting. Hope you enjoy it.



5 comments:

Kim Morin Weineck said...

I've done this same exercise personally and had my class try it.

Excellent result. Loved watching your process.

The thunderstorm was fun, too.

Barbara Pask said...

Thanks for doing this video, I always love to watch you paint. When you paint in color it seems you lay down a brush stroke and leave it, it seems with this method you spend a lot more time adjusting things. Does it seem that way to you? Keep em coming. Thanks, Barb

Charlotte McDavid said...

Love the video. More, more!

Susan Carlin said...

Oh... That was so much fun to watch! Thank you. I came by to pass on a little "award" to you. Something called Arte y Pico. You may or may not have the time or inclination to pass it on yourself, but I just had to tell you that I love your work and I appreciate you sharing it with all of us with such generosity.

Sharon Lynn Williams Fine Art said...

That was fun -good to see that I am not the only one who piddles, plays and putters with the paint!