Thursday, July 3, 2008

"Barely Visible"

9 x 12"
oil on masonite

This new painting was huge fun to paint - I spent hours on the women in Bouguereau's 'The Bathers', which is a splendid masterpiece that always stops me in my tracks when I'm at the Art Institute of Chicago. I've framed posters & prints of his work for years at my shop, but there's nothing like seeing one in real-life. The skin tones are generally pale, mixtures of white, green, ochre and touches of red in all the right places - much like Sargent's skin. Equally so, I love painting interesting clothing - the long, gauzy sari fabric on the viewer.

Please click here for a larger view and purchase information.

Happy 4th to all. Hope you enjoy the holiday.


4 comments:

Tina Powers said...

Your hours of work paid off on the "Bathers". The tones of the skin are wonderful! I especially like the viewers wrap..the detail on the edges really add sparkle. Great work!

Jo Castillo said...

Just beautiful, sigh.....

Don Gray said...

Wonderful work, Karin.

Werner said...

Excellent. And you wonder who's watching who - the painting watches the visitor as much as the visitor watches the painting - and your painting watches us.