Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"Shop Girl"

8 x 8"
oil on masonite
sold

This new painting was a nice change of pace for me. Using a white surface, I washed a mixture of asphaltum, burnt sienna and olive green over the board - removed the color with thinner where I wanted light and added thicker paint with a tad of black for the darker areas. In the end, I added a smidgeon of indian red in the woman's skin - a subtle touch similar to a tinted photograph. I think everyone out there who paints with oils should try this occasionally. It's a great exercise.

The scene was taken from Phipps Plaza in Atlanta.




4 comments:

Melinda said...

Thank you for sharing your process. It reminds me of working on a plate for monotyping. Yet, I've never applied this to painting as you've described. This is a really neat idea and, as you say, something every painter should try. The immediacy of the exercise can warm up the art muscles, illustrate a need for more exercise or produce something engaging as you have done.

michael mikolon said...

Great painting, you have given me something new to try. This is a project I can do when I run out of white paint and can not get to the art store or I am broke.

Helen Read said...

Such a nice effect! Thanks for letting us know how you did this... it is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

This looks like the kind of painting that endures and is admired for hundreds of years. Bravo, totally!