Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"Misfortune" & a New Book



6 x 6"
oil on masonite
sold

I got a little carried away with the details on this painting - the woman is viewing 'The Fortune Teller', by Georges de La Tour, one of my favorite works of art in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It amuses me - the gentleman in the center is unknowingly being pick-pocketed from behind as the crone is offering him his fortune. This piece will be included in my series ATL to NYC & Back.

I also have a new book titled 'a shore thing' - it is 7 x 7" and includes 48 color reproductions of paintings inspired from my visits to the beach. It might be a good thing to have around when winter is too much to bear. Please click here to purchase your own copy.





9 comments:

martinealison said...

Bravo pour cette très belle peinture... Une harmonie de couleurs parfaite... J'ai l'impressions qu'il y a un véritable échange visuel dans cette peinture entre la visiteuse et le personnage central de la peinture observée.
gros bisous

Helen Morley said...

Hi Karin. Another lovely energetic painting. I am amazed that you are permitted to take photos within galleries (assuming that is how you work - I could be wrong there) as here in England, we would be jumped on by the museum guards for doing that! I work from photographs, but they tend to be starting points only, but I need the references to "launch" myself from. Anyway, good luck with your book and as you say, it may be just the thing to have in the coming winter months. Helen

carol morgan carmichael said...

Just ordered "shore thing" . I don't have a beach house but what a great gift to give someone who does. Your beach paintings are my favorite!

Karen F. Rose said...

Loving your series Georgia to NYC and back. Love to see your paintings of people looking at paintings.
Wonderful!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Another beauty! Love the book too, Karin!

Shirley Fachilla said...

It's one of my favorite paintings, too. And I love the cover of your new book.

Kathy Cousart said...

Misfortune might just be a favorite for me. Love that there is so much going on and a bit of fun in the painting within the painting. Wonderful idea on Shore thing and know it will be a sure thing. I also love your beach paintings and will have to order one:)

Giselle Vidal McMenamin said...

Another fabulous work Karin. Don't think you got carried away either! One of your best titles yet- that is the one for the book- this is coming from a lover of the shore.

The All Day Artists said...

Love your colors nice work.

Ken