Tuesday, September 20, 2011

"Listen Up"

6 x 6"
oil on masonite
sold


While I'm getting all these new paintings ready for the show in October, I'm keeping busy with the brush, loosening up with more of my series ATL to NYC & Back. Picking up where I left off..... one of my stops, after the workshop wrapped up early afternoon on Tuesday, was the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I have this love/hate for the museum - it's almost too big to take in but filled with the most inspiring works of art. I'm mostly drawn to American Art, but the stuffy portraits of the European privileged amuse me, especially this little painting in my painting - by Diego Velazquez - a portrait of 'The Infanta Maria Theresa, daughter of Philip IV of Spain'. The detail is remarkable, her hair adorned with butterflies and cocoons - an fascinating portrait of a young girl who led an interesting, complicated life.




3 comments:

martinealison said...

J'aime beaucoup l'atmosphère de cette peinture. La lumière et l'harmonie des couleurs sont superbes;
bravo !
gros bisous

Giselle Vidal McMenamin said...

Karin, I've seen that Velazquez at the Met many times! Great rendering and title as always.

Mike Alonzo Art Works said...

Karin, Always enjoy looking at your work,particularly the art viewers series. Mike