Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"That's Amore"


9 x 12"
oil on masonite


Without a day to spare, I'm in 'catch-up' mode, with this new painting going to the Cohen-Rese Gallery, hopefully in time for someone's Valentine's Day. I didn't plan it that way, I had this image on my mind for months. I love to paint marble sculptures - they're often nude figures, with variations of warm and cool greys - standing out next to real humans with movement and color. The tough part is getting an image accurate enough to show those subtle shadings and tones in the white/grey areas, better appreciated in person.

This scene is from the Museum of Fine Arts, in Boston - a mother and daughter before the marble sculpture by Horatio Greenough, titled 'Love Prisoner to Wisdom".

For a larger view and purchase information, please click here.


5 comments:

Melody said...

Once again, absolutely beautiful Karin

Sherry DeGhelder said...

Nice tones.
You gave the statue and the patrons wonderful body.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done, with a Rockwellian appeal. Bravo!

Sarah Fox said...

I always love the way you paint children! Especially the mother/daughter ones, you really capture those moments well.

Alice Thompson said...

I keep coming back to this painting. The image is so wonderfully strong. I love the marble against red with the sharp dark shadow but my eye keeps being drawn to the base... like something is'nt quite right. It may just be my monitor settings.
I think this is one of your most striking compositions in color.
Have a blast in Seattle!