Friday, January 25, 2008

"New York Times"

9 x 12"
oil on masonite
sold


I did finally see the article in American Art Collector magazine - thanks for sending it to me. This painting is one of several featured - I wish you could see it in person. I had painted this woman before - this time changing the format, adding a bit more detail - I love this image.

I normally stay away from the blue/red/yellow dominating a scene, all I think of is primary colors. Yet, when those three are warmed up, toned down - tweaked - it pleases me.

This moment was taken from the lobby of a Manhattan hotel. For a larger view, please click here.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a great color sense. Thanks for sharing a bit of your process on how to deal with the primaries. I love the shafts of blue. The painting is wonderful, rich, and lively. I bought the AAC just to see your latest.

Any chance an artbook vol. 5 will be released?

Pete said...

You are dead on about warming up the primaries! In fact, I didn't really notice the dominant primaries until I read your post. Stunning work as always.

Pete

Jason Waskey said...

Can't wait to see some of these in person at Howard Manville!

Anonymous said...

The first one from this photo ref. was the one that one of the other galleries rejected because "People don't buy paintings of 'older ' people, wasn't it? As I recall, that painting ultimately did very well.
Well played!

Cooper Dragonette said...

Love the reflection!!!