Saturday, January 7, 2012

"Higher Up"

5 x 7"
oil on masonite
sold

Never fails, when I start painting a cityscape like this, I question my sanity. The trick is to remember when you're standing there, on a high-floor balcony, looking out at this scene, everything is somewhat of a blur, a series of little blips, daubs of color and light. I look at my photograph and proceed to squint for several hours, hoping it all makes sense in the end. I'm pretty happy and honestly surprised that it turned out as I imagined.

This lofty view was compliments of one of my workshop students who had an evening get-together at her home. Basically you're looking at the East River, Hellgate Park and the Triborough Bridge - just an outstanding spot to see the city in a whole different way.

This painting is included in my ongoing series ATL to NYC & Back.




14 comments:

Maria Bennett Hock said...

Love the painting and really appreciate the explanation of how you achieved the look.

Linda Popple said...

Nice composition. The sky and reflections in the water are lovely. It's a beautiful painting.

carol morgan carmichael said...

Shocked you could achieve this on a 5 x 7". Crazy good!

Unknown said...

Fantastic colors, as always :)

Linda Nickles said...

Wow, Karin -- this is gorgeous. I can't believe this is 5x7!

Terri Buchholz said...

It's gorgeous- I love it.

Kathy Cousart said...

Am I allowed to keep saying new favorite?! This is just chock full of wonderful decision making and deft brushwork. Beautifully painted! That you shared that you just kept painting all those daubs of light and shapes is inspiring- that is what I work on so much- painting the shapes not the object. Always love when it all comes together and this one did for sure!!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

This is outstanding, Karin. I know the whole 'photograph of a city' thing tries to trick you into identifying each building - but really, yea, they are just daubs of color and you did a fantastic job.

Nancy Colella said...

I was up there with you on that gorgeous terrace overlooking the city on that warm spring night! I never would have attempted to paint it, especially that small! But you have inspired me and I think I'll dig out my images and try it. Little daubs of light and shapes....I love it!

Making A Mark said...

Lovely evening painting Karen.

Shirley Fachilla said...

Beautiful. It may be my favorite of your cityscapes and you have so many good ones.

Ann said...

This painting is absolutely gorgeous. I love all your work, but this one stopped me in my tracks.

Tonya Bates said...

Wow, wow, wow, Karin! How very cool. And, of course, very special to me! Just beautiful. You are amazing. Such an inspiration.

Unknown said...

ooooh you nailed it. Very nice.