Sunday, January 7, 2007

My palette


I'm occasionally asked which oils I use and what my palette is made up of. It's best described in these photos of a fresh palette and a very used one. Typically I squirt out between 40 and 50 colors - maybe about 5 ranges of each prominent color. I use a lot of greens and oranges to mix with - seldom do I use them for the dominant colors in a painting, but they're so vital.

During the past several years, I've tried a lot of brands. Eventually, you find which brand has the best burnt umber (that doesn't dry up before the next day) or the best cadmium red or cobalt blue. Once I find my favorites, that behave the way I want them to, I stick with them.

I think the most important things to nail, in painting, are basic drawing skills and the ability to mix colors. The more you do, the more natural and fast it comes. Anything to speed things up is a good thing. One great tip for those frugal artists - I use 16" pizza pans for my pallettes. They're around five bucks, from Walmart.

I know you're not seeing too many paintings these days - the fact is, I'm painting every day for a solo show which opens the first of February. A lot of which I haven't even had time to photograph yet. So check back - I'll have more to show you very soon.

Paint on, my friends.

9 comments:

Jelaine Faunce said...

Wait......there's an umber on the market that doesn't dry on the palette within 24 hours?!?!?!? WHO makes it?

Karenpaints said...

Thanks for showing us your palette. Now if I could just use it to paint like you...

Tony Merrithew said...

Thanks for sharing, your colors are great.

James said...

I also want to say thanks. I thought you were using a tan plastic plate from the color, but couldn't imagine using such a small (sized) palette. A 16" pizza pan makes more sense. I really do enjoy the clean color in your paintings. Have you ever been a fan of a limited palette?

Mark Oberndorf said...

How much money do you spend on paints? It's a good thing your prices are skyrocketing!!

Carol Cooper said...

Thanks for sharing your palette and painting tips Karin. This newbie greatly appreciates it!

Karin Jurick said...

Regarding James' question "Have you ever been a fan of a limited palette?" - No. Truth is, I hunger for color. Whereas I think it's a mistake to use one color 'straight out of the tube', like Leroy Neiman (no offense to Mr. Neiman or his fans), there are gabillions of colors to mix and discover every day. It's part of the fun of oils.
Regarding Mark's question "How much money do you spend on paints?" - good God, a lot. And don't forget the brushes!

Karin Jurick said...

Oh - one more thing to add. I find it much more of a pleasure to write a check to the art supply store rather than the IRS. So my lecture of the day - reinvest in yourself. It'll pay off.

Cooper Dragonette said...

Maybe there's a storyline here: Jack Bauer. A tube of burnt umber. 24 hours. Maybe Chloe can help with your missing files.
Love your palette shots Karin. And I thought mine turned into a mess. I do find it really helpful to know more about other artist's practices. It can be a bit like working in a vacuum in my backyard studio.
Best,
Cooper