Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"Drawn To The Song Of The Lark"

9 x 12"

oil on masonite

sold

I got in a full day of painting today - I love that. This is a piece done for my upcoming show - I really love this one. It's frustrating to know that the photo image doesn't do it justice, as with many paintings. The rich golds in the frame and the painting, next to the aqua blues and warm browns really feels right to me.

I have always admired Jules Breton's painting "The Song of the Lark". I spend years framing the print before I saw it in real life. And wow. To quote a description, "It is said that the artist, Jules Breton, was walking in the fields of France early one morning when suddenly there burst forth the joyous song of a lark singing high in the air. As he looked about him, trying to discover the bird, he soon found it by following the rapt gaze of a peasant girl who had stopped to look and listen. As you know, an English lark sings while flying high in the air instead of in the treetops as other birds do. Its song, too, is longer and far more beautiful than that of our lark, and has been the subject of many poems."

Click here if you'd like a larger view and more info.

5 comments:

Jelaine Faunce said...

One of my favorite color combinations is cream/aqua/brown. There's something about that mix that just sets everything right. I don't know what the painting looks like in person, but I'm sure it's spectacular. Great job. :o)

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

I love your wor! I've been following it since you painted those people in the pool--how long ago was that? It's a pleasure each time you post a new one. Thank you.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I love this one especially. I like the design, and there seems a connection between the (3) figures. The colors are lucious even on the computer!

Vic said...

Karin,
Fantastic work ! Just love your compositions and colors. Keep it going - would love to own one of your paintings someday. Your biggest fan !

Vic

Susan said...

I stumbled onto your blog because I saw "The Song of the Lark" in AIC today and couldn't understand why there wasn't any text for the painting aside from the standard artist, medium, name, etc. Of all the paintings in the AIC, this is the one that stopped me in my tracks, so thanks for the info! (And you've got some gorgeous stuff yourself - will have to keep on the lookout for it, as I live in the southeast and have family in Charleston...)