Thursday, August 5, 2010

"The News in Black & White"

8 x 8"
oil on masonite
sold

Reporting in, from an unintended absence - I did take about a week off from painting, went on a road trip to visit family and oddly enough, I didn't go off with my camera. I just enjoyed the time with my favorite people. Haven't done that in a l-o-n-g time.

When I got home, I jumped right back into the studio ready to work. I painted a new piece, which has been set aside for the Charleston Art Auction in November, then proceeded to paint two failures. I worked them over and over, liked them, hated them again and put my brushes away and sulked. Yes, it happens to me too.

So...... I did paperwork, worked on the details for my November workshop, cleaned my house, did my laundry and all those other mundane chores until I was ready to paint again. And I failed. Again. Yes, it happens to me too. I could blame it on the heat index for frying my brain - although it's just plain normal to go through these times.

What I do know is, when you hit a plateau, change it up. So I worked with a more desaturated, value study if you will - using thick paint, palette knives and brushes and just went at it. Tomorrow I'll face it again.

On a more positive note, I was interviewed by Southwest Art Magazine, for a featured article coming up in their October issue. I'm so excited. I am clearly not a southwest-themed painter, they do include events and artists east of the Mississippi. How cool is that?

This new painting is a scene from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, an elegant woman relaxing with the daily newspaper in the sculpture gallery.




21 comments:

Karen Werner said...

Boy, does that make me feel better! When I fuss and fuss and wipe out and wipe out I get mad at myself for getting mad at myself!!! When will I ever really believe that this is "normal" as you say? Thanks for the honesty! AND I LOVE your work, of course.

Brian Cameron said...

I almost had to laugh! Thanks for letting us know it happens to you. I go up and down all the time.Sometimes I try to paint even when I have no inspiration and sometimes something good comes of it. Other times I wipe it off. Still other times I can't force myself to even try.
Oh for that wonderful inspired feeling to wash over me each and every day! An accomplished old master Michael Russo said of his long painting career 'self doubt is a constant companion.'
I suspect your work is always good but you just don't always see it that way.
Glad you are posting again Karin.

Marian Fortunati said...

Good for you Karin..
Glad you had some time with those people who are important in your life.

Nan Johnson said...

So glad I am not alone! "Self doubt is a constant companion" - so true, so true. Thank you Karin, and welcome back.

donna said...

So glad to have you back! It's hard to believe your paintings don't always work perfectly, but it does make me feel better.

CJ Mulloy said...

Welcome back! You were missed in the blogging world - I always look forward to seeing your work!

carol morgan carmichael said...

Glad you had time away from painting and a good non working visit with your family. I think that is great that you did not even take your camera. Bet that was hard.
Congratulations on the magazine interview! Wonderful honor.
Good luck with your painting this week.

Debbie Turner Chavers said...

Summer doldrums! Fall is just around the corner and a visit with those you care about is always a good thing:)

jesusest@gmail.com said...

I like this painting, dont worry about failures , I am sure you learn as much with failures as you do with successful ones, it just doesnt give you a good taste on your mouth.

Elaine Hurst said...

So glad to see your post again. I love the simple moments in time that you capture. Those are the bits and pieces that make us all human, and it is such fun to see your creative take on it. Congratulations on the interview!! Wow! Exciting! I will look for the issue. I love that magazine. Glad you had family time, that's important.

liz wiltzen said...

I find sulking is especially helpful at these times :)

Congrats on the SWA article. Paint on sister!

Johanna Spinks said...

EXCELLENT piece.

Amy Hillenbrand said...

It is normal; isn't it? Maybe that is why there is a summer, just to relax and enjoy our families and friends. Thanks for sharing your process with us.

Scott Parker said...

Wow! That's so encouraging. Sometimes I just feel I can't get it, taht it just won't come. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I like this piece. plenty of color! Ah those slumps, and the "will I ever be able to paint a good painting again" feelings... I wonder how many other occupations are so prone to these self-doubts and mood swings.

Linda Rothchild Ollis said...

You are very generous to share with artists everywhere how "working through the process of creativity" with consistent effort, is part of what makes the paintings happen.Thank you for adding this to the gifts you give us.
Glad you took time off.

Susan Hediger-Matteson said...

You make it look so easy but I guess everyone struggles. Thanks for sharing that.

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Congratulations on being interviewed for SWA Magazine! That is VERY exciting. I will look forward to getting my copy in the mail even more now.
Joan

Loretta Gragnani said...

Hi Karin, thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations. I'm exactly where you are right now. It's encouraging to know that there others who are in the same boat. Your work is fabulous of course. Keep on keeping on.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

it happens to everyone is a recurring theme and I think you needed that time to decompress and take a little trip. You are one of the hardest working artists I know of. No small thing.

Kim Blair said...

Thanks for blogging about some of your painting days not going well... it sure helps to hear that someone as prolific as you also has 'off' days. I am learning to go with the flow and do book- work, clean my studio, or go out for a walk instead of forcing the process.
Whew! I had one of those days yesterday... today feels much better.
Kim