Thursday, August 26, 2010

"100 Faces, No. 13"

4 x 4"
oil on masonite
sold

It is not my intent to paint 100 faces the same way - I look at it as exercise - to approach each one differently, in other words, switch around the steps from beginning to end and see what happens. And I like surprises. That's how I learn. The main constant is that I don't sketch any out before I go at it. I think that builds confidence.

Now with this guy, I used the background aqua to define the shape of the head first. Starting on one end and moving around to the other end. Surprisingly, it worked on the first try. What I was left with was a black, the ground color, as a silhouette of the head, then just filled it in. Very cool process.

Meanwhile, I'm working on another painting for the Charleston Art Auction in November, and these studies have really given me some helpful tips with what I'm doing. Yay. I love that.


10 comments:

Page Pearson Railsback said...

fantastic, such style

Sally Veach said...

I love your faces. They have so much character! Where do you get your subjects?

irinapictures said...

I love to see "Sold" mark near the paintings of good artists. It is some kind of solidarity. And belief in world's justice. I wait for your next posts, looks like reading of good book.

Randall said...

Nice profile Karin. Do you have a favorite background color?

~Kirby

RH Carpenter said...

I don't normally comment on your blog, Karen, but just had to say how much I'm enjoying your portraits...and loved that cow and the title :)

Lisa Daria said...

Love it, thanks for sharing the process on this one too -

liz wiltzen said...

Awesome Karin!

Johanna Spinks said...

I too am enjoying seeing your portrait challenge and your thoughts behind it. Great work.

Sharon Alama Art said...

So very interesting....as always!
Any chance we can see a shot of a portrait during the process ...just to see how it progresses??
You go, girl!

Karen Werner said...

I love the background color, and the silhouette shape created by profile is interesting and refreshing. Thanks for sharing your process.