Thursday, August 19, 2010

"100 Faces, No. 10"

4 x 4"
oil on masonite
sold

If I had to choose a personal favorite of the 10 - it is this one. About a third of the way into it, I didn't think I could pull it off. A black person's skin contains multitudes of color, absorbing light more than reflecting light - making for rich grey-purples, maroons, blues with warm reds. It can be daunting - I try to think of it as a landscape of tones rather than a human face, something I remind myself of with any subject.

Meanwhile I'm working on a painting for the Charleston Art Auction - bringing to it some things I've learned from painting these faces. I think I'm on the right track.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

amazing color~!

Caroline Peña Bray said...

I agree - this is my favourite so far too! You've got the colours down perfectly, along with the three dimensionality and textures. This painting maks me want to reach out and touch the skin, I'm convinced I wouldn't feel paint but instead I'd feel skin. Great work!

Tilen said...

wow! that's a lot of detail in 4"x4", great color!

Nancy Everett said...

The background choice really emphasizes all the wonderful color in his skin. Nice painting!

liz wiltzen said...

Gorgeous! Love the magenta and crimson skin tones against the orange background.

Andrea Longhi said...

great works!
I love your colors :)
cheers from Italy

Todd Bonita said...

I'm going to enjoy following this...wonderful!

Linny D. Vine said...

This is a fabulous series, Karin. (The maroons, purples and crimsons of the skin tones against the orange background is brilliant.)

John Vander Stelt said...

Love the skin tones. Brave choices.