Friday, April 10, 2009

"Woodland Nymph & Hound"










You may notice a couple of changes to this post - one - I was wrong, this figure is not the goddess of Diana, it is one of her companions, which explains why I changed the title of my painting. I also removed my little movie, showing the progression of the painting and replaced that with still images that seem easier to view. I thought you'd like to see how I approached this subject.


and the finished painting......

6 x 12"
oil on masonite
sold

The marble sculpture was done by Jean-Louis Lemoyne, titled 'A Companion of Diana', commissioned by Louis XIV in 1724. Diana was goddess of the moon and of the hunt, this nymph is one of Diana's companions, with her hound. This sculpture belongs to the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC.



21 comments:

Leslie Saeta said...

Holy smokes! This painting is absolutely amazing. Wow!

Mark Bridges said...

Wonderful. Good size for you too.

Anonymous said...

love your choice of shadow colours, lovely work. r.

Victor Bauer said...

Very nice piece and great colors.

Pat Aube Gray said...

Great juxtapositioning of warm and cool complementary tones! Your instincts are so finely tuned.

Lara Harris said...

Love this! Very different from most of your other work...and of course I love that it has a dog!Very nice!

dominique eichi said...

Oh beautiful and wonderful. I love it that the bar is so high , stretchinnnnnnng meeeeeeeeeeeee.......... : ) ahhhh that feels good !

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

The bar is indeed set high, thanks Karin! Off to watch the video, thanks for that also.

artbyakiko said...

Wonderful to see how you paint! Great result, as always!

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

It sure came out nice whatever your approach.

Joyfulartist said...

Wow, talk about a challenging painting! You nailed it! Now I have to stop wasting time reading blogs and get to painting.

Mahmud Yussop said...

Amazing style.

Marian Fortunati said...

I love how you showed your progress step by step... VERY INSTRUCTIVE!!..
Love the finished product too!

Thanks so much, Karin!!

adebanji said...

Solid, the sequence, the style, Love every bit of this!

Beth said...

thank you for progression photos...so excellent...lovely colors!!!

Alexis Barattin said...

wonderful! thank you this is super educational

Cheryl Quist said...

Nice - quite a challenge! I enjoyed viewing the progression photos - great to see how develops.

Street - Walker said...

indeed great!!! deserves an applause :)

Sr do Vale said...

Muito bom, do primeiro passo até a finalização.

abraços.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for showing your process of painting. I'm just starting out and I always wonder about how experienced artists such as yourself start a painting and how you get to the "final" version. Great job!

Glenda Mosher said...

Wow! Thanks so much for sharing your process for this work. This was definitely out of my comfort zone (I hate to wimp-out!) These challenges of yours, along with your inspiring chats have been truly motivational. Have a great road trip! I look forward to seeing what inspires your future works.