Monday, October 12, 2009

"Roofscape"

6 x 6"
oil on masonite
sold

I try to offer a variety of subjects on my Different Strokes From Different Folks challenges - the most current being the multi-level, multi-colored rooftops of downtown San Francisco. It is truly a subject that I'm in love with - mostly from witnessing how other artists transform 'just a bunch of buildings' into beautiful works of art. As I said on my blog, when I see city rooftops I understand Richard Diebenkorn. It's also an image that can swing from totally abstract to super realism - and I'd love them all. When you have a minute, take a look at what other artists have contributed.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow.

I love the bits of turquoise paired with the washed out yellow. I see your love for Hopper in this piece. Thanks for sharing!

Autumn Leaves said...

Karin, I love how your piece came out. I only hope mine gives someone else hope for their abilities this time around. Mine were sorely lacking, even for me. At any rate, this looks fabulous!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

It's fabulous. Although I am a realist painter, the thrill of recognizing great abstract design never leaves me.
I recently shot a bunch of rooftops from the parking garage of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Initially I was bummed out because I had to park on the top level BUT, it turned out to be a wonderful view and I was up there shooting photos for 45 minutes :D
Your paintings stop me in my tracks every time!

Phil said...

Great Colors and composition.

Phil