Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"Refinery"

6 x 6"
oil on masonite
sold

On to the R for Refinery. I've developed this odd affection for industrial areas - the older the better. Factories are usually so basic in form, like big blocks on pavements. Gritty, messy combinations of shapes. I spotted this sugar refinery while driving around Seattle's outskirts - you can see a glimpse of the skyline to the left of the horizon. Good light, around 7 in the evening, with a rare slice of the clear sky.

I did five different versions, one right on top of the other, not so much until I was satisfied - and I am - it was more a learning experience - decision making. One hour turned into three, with another hour this morning. And I had no idea what I was looking for. I think I was fascinated with seeing that a few strokes could change everything. Drastically. Pretty unusual for me to add the sign on the building, but somehow it just felt complete when I did it. Always learning.


One more thing ...... in an effort to teach myself more movie-making, I made a short video called A day in Chicago. Click here to view this new YouTube addition.


7 comments:

Olha Pryymak said...

way to go catching this light! fantastic piece of blue sky.

Sheila Vaughan said...

Its another beauty Karin

Laurie said...

Intense lighting is always an imediate eye catcher for me. This painting is very cool.

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Wonderful job Karin. The sky and the lit buildings, wow!

Jeffrey

Debbie said...

Karin, I loved your "Day in Chicago" video! I thought your choice of music went together perfectly with the pace, and order of the images... Well Done!

Anonymous said...

Great sense of light.

Anonymous said...

I like how the structure is trapped between the sky and the black asphalt, the composition really expresses a mood here.