Friday, March 25, 2016

Out to Lunch

On this Easter holiday weekend, I want to say I've completely lost my mind.

I've had a long time desire to paint Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party since the day I saw it in person about seven years ago.  I tackled it once.  It was much looser.  And there was a crowd in the way.  I was saner back then.




Now I'm zeroing in on Renoir's incredible attention to detail, seeing things I've never noticed before.  Here's my slow progress...




I really should go dye some eggs.

I also wanted to mention Senator John McCain wrote an article in the New York Times today - about a recent obituary, the death of a U.S. soldier Delmer Berg.  He was 100 years old.  

The reason I bring this up?  Picasso's painting Guernica, which I recently featured in my painting War Paint.  

Mr. Berg was the last known veteran of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.  One of about 3,000 mostly-American volunteers who fought in the Spanish Civil War, in defense of the leftist government of Spain, against the Nationalists, led by Franco.  I never knew about the Abraham Lincoln Brigade.  It was part of the International Brigade, which included tens of thousands of foreign volunteers that fought against the bombings and destruction of many little hamlets in Spain.  Guernica being one of them.

So coming to the aid of a foreign land and people, people that these volunteers never knew - is quite profound.  

~  Happy Easter



4 comments:

Cathy Engberg said...

So amazing Karin! I don't think I remember seeing your Luncheon Date before. Love all the figures and how you make it all work together. How large is this?

And its always a special treat to see an 'in progress' photo from you. It's going to be spectacular! I love it when you lose your mind! :)
Happy Easter

Unknown said...

This is so impressive! I also love how you tie in the background and history with your paintings.

Nicole/Andrew said...

A detail of that painting was on one of my school books. Probably the only school book I enjoyed looking at!!!!!! Looking forward to the finish of your painting :)

carol morgan carmichael said...

You may be crazy but you are also crazy talented!