Friday, March 18, 2016

"War Paint"

28 x 8"
oil on panel
sold


When I started this painting, I thought I must be out of my mind.  I rarely tackle something I know will take days.  And it did.  

My main drive was to submit this painting to an upcoming museum exhibition, but I couldn't meet the deadline - but I just kept plugging away.  It was challenging - mostly deciphering the many grey tones and values of Picasso's painting - I must have mixed 50+ different blacks and greys and tans.  I was obsessed with getting just the right combinations for days.  

Last night, after I completed the painting,  I took the dogs for a walk in a nearby cemetery and as I was walking on the asphalt, I was determining what colors to mix to get the color under my feet.  My brain couldn't shut it off - I thought that was amusing.

The more I dove into the history of Picasso's Guernica, the more his painting seemed so timely - a small town of innocent people driven out of their home by total destruction, much like Syria.  War.  What is it good for?

Here are several close-ups of this piece, starting from the left....













 Please click here for a larger view.




3 comments:

Gayle said...

Your painting leave me in awe! Amazing how you can convey the feeling of a huge painting in such small perimeters.

Marilyn Place said...

I love this! Not only are your grey tones and values well done, I love the colors you use in the patrons. Very nice. I'm glad you stayed with it.

Patricia Wafer said...

Wow! wonderful painting. Excellent composition and choice of color. I love your paintings! I only saw a replica of Guernica many years ago at the Chicago Art Institute and I was not expecting the powerful impact it had on me. It sort of sums up the 20th century. Too bad it is still relevant in the 21st.