Tuesday, December 31, 2013

"Haylight"

7 x 5"
oil on panel
sold


It's New Year's Eve and I'm gonna get a little personal for a change.

My year started with an evil gall bladder that eventually was removed.  I lost my brother who died too young.

A couple of months went by and after bracing for the third bad event to strike - I realized time was passing me by and I needed to dust myself off and get back to being positive again.

From that point, everything got better.  It always does.

This new painting is from one of the best moments of my year - as simple as it was.  I returned to my mom's family, after years had gone by of neglect.  My aunt and uncle still live on a peaceful, beautiful farm in Roxie, Mississippi - a place I visited all through my childhood.  My uncle took me for a spin on his ATV, out in the fields, through the woods, down to the creek and just as the sun was sinking, he stopped.  I didn't have to tell him how beautiful it was - the shadows, the oranges and golds, the peace.  He relishes this every day.  It was just a wonderful moment in my year.

~ Happy New Year to you and may you always relish the beauty in life's simple moments.




14 comments:

Linda Popple said...

Lovely, Karin! Your post and painting.
Happy New Year to you!

Kasturi said...

Lovely painting. Happy new year and wishes for many more beautiful paintings.

Ross Lynem said...

Beautiful! Both the painting and your post. Happy New Year!

Sizun said...

How wonderful to be able to translate such beauty and peacefulness through color and brushes. I wish you a happy new year.

Patti Vincent said...

Happy New Year! Thanks for getting personal. This painting speaks volumes and the back story gives it words. Lovely thoughts and painting!

Unknown said...

I love the hopefulness of this painting, Karin. It has both drama and peace ... sort of like life :)
- Sonia Kane

Anita Tresslar said...

Happy New Year Linda. Here's hoping for a better 2014 for all of us. The painting is beautiful. Perfect lighting.

Susan said...

Beautiful glowing work and such a bittersweet year. Here's to all things good.

Barbara Muir said...

Beautiful Karin,

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you are well. This painting reminds me of Nova Scotia and the sight always makes me happy.

Here's to a better year in 2014.

Cindy said...

just beautiful.

Loretta Gragnani said...

Just beautiful!

Kathleen Coy said...

Beautiful painting of a familiar scene to me - feels like I'm standing right there. Here's to a 2014 as wonderful as this painting!
Kat

n warner said...

Very lovely New Year's statement, about boiling things down to staying positive,and reconnecting with the things that really matter.

Your work is always inspiring and you bring a lot of joy to your viewing (and buying) public.

Best to you for the ongoing year ahead!

nina

JoAnn said...

I am inspired by your beautiful work, thank you for that.