Tuesday, January 20, 2015

"White Collar"

6 x 8"
oil on panel
sold


I want to paint a larger, more-realized version of this young woman 1) because the painting behind her is one of my very favorites in the Legion of Honor Museum 2) I love her floppy hat and 3) I love the combination of browns and blacks and creams with that touch of olive.  What I wasn't sure of was how the coffee colored wall would do with the skin tones and I wasn't sure I could pull off that cool shirt and whether or not to make it more solid.  So I did this study today.

From the Legion of Honor in San Francisco, a young woman stands in front of the Flemish painting by Frans Pourbus the Younger 'Portrait of a Lady'.




8 comments:

Cathy Engberg said...

You nailed it Karin! I can't wait to see your larger version. This is wonderful!

Unknown said...

This one really is lovely, love it! The colors work well, wonderful work.

Ann said...

White baseboard is distracting, if that helps...

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

So STRONG!

Unknown said...

fabulous painting.

I need orange said...

Love it. Love the way you've captured the partial transparency of the shirt!

Love the young man in the previous post. The way one ear is barely there, while the other is so bright. The colors, against the black.......

Kaethe Bealer said...

I like how the darks are linked together from the painting to her skirt. It's a great design element! Great painting!

Anne Wood said...

This is just awesome Karin, I have followed you and your paintings for some years now and you both inspire me and overwhelm me...I hope I can get somewhere nearly as good as you one day. regards, Anne Wood.(also Anne Larder)