Monday, February 2, 2009

"Pacific Heights"

3-5/8 x 12
oil on masonite

The current challenge for my Different Strokes From Different Folks blog - a Victorian home in Pacific Heights, San Francisco. Architecture, buildings are not an easy subject to paint - frankly, it's much easier to draw. With a drawing, you tend to pay attention to lines and perspective - with a paintbrush you tend to feel the weight of a structure and it becomes more 3-dimensional. My experience, with painting this piece, started with a loose sketch, then I stared at the photo for a few minutes and put it away and painted. It was more enjoyable that way for me. The forms are slightly exaggerated and the colors were more intuitive in the end.


Anita said...

3 5/8"? Really? WOW! Love the format and perfect for the reference. I just could not get my head round this reference. I like the idea of not being bound by the reference as you describe - I might try that sometime.

Marian Fortunati said...

You did a fabulous job (as you always do) on this... I had trouble finding a way to depict the scene in an interesting or attractive manner.
So many artists were able to do that... What a great thing you are doing for us... A great way to learn!!

Theresa Rankin said...

Fantastic version and so small!!