Sunday, July 16, 2017

"Express Yourself"

9 x 12"
oil on panel


Mark Rothko was a complex, educated man and it would be futile for me to even begin to analyze his paintings, especially the color fields in his abstract expressionism works.  I will include a quote from Rothko that does it for me - "The fact that people break down and cry when confronted with my pictures shows that I can communicate those basic human emotions.  The people who weep before my pictures are having the same religious experience I had when painting them.  And if you say you are moved only by their color relationships then you miss the point."

A young man stands before Mark Rothko's Untitled, (Purple, White and Red) in the Art Institute of Chicago.

Please click here for a larger view and purchase/contact information.


No comments: