Monday, November 16, 2015

"Young"

6 x 8"
oil on panel
sold


I chose the artist Stephen Scott Young for the letter Y in my series ArtistZ.

Stephen is just a little older than me.  I've admired his paintings and etchings for years, dating back to my early framing career in the early 80's when I frequently framed prints of his work.  To think he was painting such beautiful watercolors at the age of 20ish-years-old was inspiring - it made me want to be an artist.

Stephen is a graduate of the Ringling School of Art, one of my-then top choices for art school - he took his first trip to the Bahamas in the early 80's and fell in love with the clear, natural, sparkling light and the people who have been many subjects in his paintings thru the years.  The painting I chose is titled 'Faithful', one of my personal favorites.

Around 2007, I got a call from an owner of the Morris & Whiteside Gallery in Hilton Head - a gallery that I had bookmarked for several years because Stephen Scott Young was one of the artists represented.  I was stunned that Ben Whiteside, one of the owners, was interested in my work considering the league I would be joining.  The first time I saw my painting hanging next to Stephen's,  I was floored.  And I still am to this day.




No comments: