Thursday, September 10, 2015

"O'Keeffe"

6 x 8"
oil on panel
sold


I was introduced to Georgia O'Keeffe as a teenager, my mom, who went through a period of painting abstracts, had numerous books of O'Keeffe's work.   A few years later, I saw an exhibit of Alfred Stieglitz, which included many photographs of Georgia O'Keeffe and I was more intrigued.

She was born in Wisconsin in 1887, studied at the Art Institute of Chicago mostly - Stieglitz fell in love with her work, and in 1916, held a show at his New York City gallery without her approval.  She attended the opening, walked up to Stieglitz and said 'Do you know who I am?' which he replied 'no' which she replied 'I'm Georgia O'Keeffe and you are to take all my artwork down now'.  But, he smoothed talked her into 'showing the world her beautiful art' and she married Stieglitz 8 years later.

In the Art Institute of Chicago, one of my favorite paintings of hers is 'The Shelton with Sunspots, NY' which hangs in a different spot than the two you see above - many people don't know this painting was done by O'Keeffe.




Given the chance, I could go on and on about this amazing woman and painter.   I easily chose O'Keeffe for the letter O in my series ArtistZ - featuring my two personal favorite paintings 'Cow's Skull with Calico Roses' and 'Black Cross, New Mexico'.

I wanted to include my favorite photograph of her, during her later years living in New Mexico.




And last - you see my painting has sold.   A very valued collector of my work has offered to buy the remaining paintings in my series, an offer I couldn't refuse.  So they won't be auctioned,  but I hope you understand, and I thank all of you who have participated in the auctions (there are 2 still on auction) and purchased those paintings.




No comments: