Tuesday, August 18, 2015

"Ives"

6 x 8"
oil on panel
sold


I chose an American sculptor, Chauncey B. Ives for I for my series ArtistZ.

His stunning marble masterpiece 'Undine' resides in a dark room in the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington, DC.  You can't miss it.  I think my first aha moment as a child, that someone created art with their hands was when I saw a marble sculpture at the Vatican.  I was mesmerized.  This piece does the same to me - the anatomy, the ripples of cloth flowing over the body.  Just amazing.

A bit of info regarding the subject - an undine is a legendary figure, a mortal sea sprite that lacks a soul.  In order to gain a soul, she must assume human form and trick a man into marriage.  Ives' figure is rising out of the water, reaching towards the heavens to receive her soul.  You go girl.


2 comments:

Corinne Murphy said...

Karin, as much as I continue to be in complete awe of your painting skills, I keep thinking that 'this' painting is one of your best, or 'that' painting was definitely one of your best, I've decided to eliminate that thinking because it's very, very apparent that you are a truly gifted and amazing artist and they're ALL THE BEST!!!

Your attention to detail and your spot-on reproductions of the human form continually inspire and drive me to work harder and to make myself paint in areas less comfortable in hopes of someday realizing the same feelings I have seeing YOUR paintings in MY OWN paintings!!! Of course I know that each of us paints differently and have different skills, but I want you to know that your works are of continual inspiration. Thank you for sharing.

Karin Jurick said...

Thank you Corinne. You made my day.