Friday, July 24, 2015

"High as a Kite"

12 x 12"
oil on panel
sold


Robert Lange Studios asked me to do another painting for their "Fluent" show - which is currently showing at the Vendue Hotel in Charleston until mid-November.  My first one 'Cannonball' sold on opening night, so I was psyched to do another.

I started this, got ill, got better and resumed and got ill again - which turned out to be a great thing because the first layer dried, which doesn't normally happen before I finish a painting.  When I resumed a couple of days ago, I switched to a palette knife, which totally changed the vibrancy and added the texture to the sand and waves.  I have to say, this is one of my all-time favorite paintings ever.

A scene on Hilton Head Island beach taken from a drone camera last fall.

Please click here for a larger view. 


7 comments:

Susan Liles said...

Wow! Love the perspective on this painting. The texture for the sand is perfect.

Stella said...

I love all your paintings, but this one is amazing! You are a very inspiring artist.

Cathy Engberg said...

Wow! This is fabulous! Love the birds eye view!

Nicole/Andrew said...

just...wow!

l i a n a  h a r r i s said...

Great design, Karin. The pyramid. or triangle, is so dynamic in this composition, along with those long blue shadows and the approaching water, this painting has great, cohesive movement. And, of course, great figure work and color harmony throughout. I'm in awe.

Deb Kirkeeide said...

Like everyone else...wow! I love this. At first glance it looked so abstract and and I wondered at how unusual it was from your usual approach and on closer look I realized what I was looking at. Wonderful perspective and approach.

Ross Lynem said...

Fantastic and such a different angle. Really like this a lot.
Great work.