Tuesday, July 28, 2015

"Freud"

6 x 8"
oil on panel
sold


Lucian Freud is on the top of my list of most influential painters and one of the greatest figurative artists of the 20th century.   I have many books of Freud's works of art and the first one I saw in person was in the Cleveland Museum of Art.  I was in awe. 

The first time I saw Freud's painting 'Benefits Supervisor Sleeping' I was stunned, like most, of the large, nude model, Sue Tilly - a woman who posed for him many times in the 80's.  Freud said of her body 'It's flesh without muscle and it has developed a different kind of texture through bearing such a weight-bearing thing.'  For some, there may be no beauty in a body like Sue Tilly's - but I see wonderful folds and curves and a real woman with no shame.

The most influential thing about Freud's portraits is the skin tones that include golds, ochres, greens, greys, blues, reds, oranges, purples.  Did I leave anything out?  That is the lesson and something I try to carry into my figurative paintings.  

I know, I'm gushing.  Freud is my new addition to my series ArtistZ.

This painting 'Benefits Supervisor Sleeping' held the world record for the highest price paid for a living artist, $33.6 million in 2008 until 'Benefits Supervisor Resting' sold for $56.2 million in 2015.




1 comment:

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Great rendering of Freud's painting. You captured the power.
I remember the first time i saw it - it blew me away - but there were two young men deriding the volume of the models body and I was amazed we saw it so differently. I saw the beautiful paint quality and colors in the skin, and they saw ugliness.
Thanks for choosing this one to paint.