Saturday, July 4, 2015

"Albright"

6 x 8"
oil on panel
sold


For me, working on a theme gives me direction and motivation, both of which are sometimes hard to come by if you're a painter.

So I've come up with a new series I'm psyched about titled 'ArtistZ' - inspired by the artists I greatly admire, from A to Z.   It took about five minutes to list 23, with U, X and Y still to be determined.  Those 23 were easy, artists I've loved for years - through artbooks and visits to museums.

Starting with A - Ivan Albright.   As a teenager, I discovered Albright in the Art Institute of Chicago.  Two of his large, tall paintings hung on each side of a threshold and I'd beeline straight to those paintings as soon as I entered the museum.   His famous 'Picture of Dorian Gray', commissioned for the title painting in the 1943 movie and 'That Which I Should Have Done I Did Not Do (The Door), which is my personal favorite, featured in my painting.   Years back, I traveled all the way to New York City to see a retrospective of Albright's work at the Metropolitan Museum of Art - so very unforgettable. 

What I love about Albright's work is how meticulous he worked, his fascination with decay and death as subjects and his self-portraits that were done in various styles through many years of his life.

I hope you enjoy this new series.

~ Happy 4th



3 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

This is wonderful and I'm going to get quite the education for free. LOL Lovely!

Teri said...

Looking forward to this series, Karin ... and this first one is great - love the pops of red!

Sandra Busby said...

It's beautiful Karin! I remember another series you did like this and I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to see more :0)