Thursday, February 12, 2015

"Form and Function"

10 x 10"
oil on panel
sold 


A new painting included in the grouping Museum Hours - one of my personal favorites - a woman standing before Robert Motherwell's 'Elegy to the Spanish Republic, 54", in the Museum of Modern Art, New York City.

I admit, I sway more towards representational art but any time I approach an abstract painting by Motherwell, Franz Kline, Robert Diebenkorn or Mark Rothko, to name a few - I stop and stare for a good while.  With Motherwell and Kline, it's the largeness, the stark forms of black and white maybe that grabs my attention.  I don't strive to 'understand' it, I just enjoy it.

Please click here for a larger view.




1 comment:

c.dingman said...

Really enjoy your paintings. This one really caught my eye. The starkness of the bold painting and the neutral colors of the viewer are so striking.