Sunday, May 26, 2013

"The Sentinel"

6 x 6"
oil on panel
sold

I mentioned I finally updated the section of my website that features my small, daily paintings and realized I was short two to total 500.  That amazed me - 500.  I started painting those in January of 2006 before I painted full-time, before I joined galleries, before I ever imagined I could make a living as an artist.  I started a blog on the very day I painted my first one - a fairly new thing back then.

If you do the math, I painted 500 in the span of about 2,675 days - so although my intentions were to make it a daily exercise, in between, I painted hundreds of others for galleries - not to mention life happens and sometimes I just don't paint.  

The best thing that comes out of these small pieces is practice.  I discovered subjects I thought I had no interest in.  I got feedback thru the years of what strikes an interest in others.  I experimented with different ground colors.  It's liberating in many ways to just paint for a couple of hours and accomplish something.

Try it.  Get some small canvases or panels, buy some paint, take some photos of all different things or set up a still-life.  Buy one of Brett's Tabletop Easels or Altereasels and set up a place just for you.  You've got nothing to lose and you'll enjoy it.  

Oh yeah,  the raven.  I spotted him watching over the beach on Hilton Head Island.


~ For now, go barbeque something and have a great holiday.



7 comments:

Carol Lee Beckx said...

What a wonderful achievement! I will pop over to your website and have a look.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Thanks for the inspirational post, Karin, I love not only seeing your works but reading your thoughts on Daily Painting! Great bird! Happy BBQ!

Barbara Pask said...

He is great, I love how disheveled he looks.

Wanda Lowery said...

Beautiful black coloring in your raven. Good for you on all those daily paintings. They may be practice to you but they are all wonderful. I enjoy your blog.

Loretta said...

Hi Karin,
I love checking in on you from time to time and I'm never disappointed. Loved the Raven.
I miss DSFDF though as I'm sure many others do. That's okay though....I keep painting. Makes me happy.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

quite an accomplishment and your paintings are wonderful.

Margaret S Milligan said...

You really do inspire - let's hope reading your post will get me going again, I never seem to have enough time..... even getting up at 5am! Love love love your workgaged estsdeci