Thursday, November 29, 2012

"Behind The News"

8 x 10"
oil on panel

A new painting included in my 'Met Life' grouping - a woman reading the New York Times in the Sculpture Gallery at the Met.  I've painted her several times, several ways including black and white and always excluded the dense ferns above the marble bench.  In this new piece, I think I finally got what I've been reaching for - with appreciation for the cool/warm marble and the greenery above her.  You can't see it clearly, but there's a touch of palette knife that gave me that yummy aqua and the warm light on the floor.  I like it.

Please click here for a larger view and purchase information.

Just a quick note - the Morris & Whiteside Gallery will be hosting a Holiday Open House, Friday the 7th, to welcome visitors and the new paintings will be up if you're able to stop by.




9 comments:

Linda Nickles said...

I LOVE it, Karin! Best wishes for your show at Morris & Whiteside. I'm looking forward to seeing all your new work.

Linda Popple said...

One of my favorites!

lampros lampinos said...

oh!! very good!!!

Terri Buchholz said...

Magnificent! The ferns are gorgeous and make a perfect canopy for the figure. Hope your back is improving. Do you see a chiropractor? Mine has saved me more than once.

Maria Hock said...

So beautifully done! I wish I could make it to Morris & Whiteside..I know the reception will be great.

Susan Roux said...

Love the title! A common phrase directing a new idea. This painting is lovely. I think you should consider doing it large. It would stand up nicely.

Kathleen Coy said...

This is incredible, Karin! It may be a new favorite...
Kat

Lory said...

Lovely!

Teri said...

Karin - Wow! So good!